Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chapter 12 - Unexpected

When Renesmee awoke the next morning in her own bed, she sat up quickly and wondered how she got there, knowing she'd fallen asleep in the chair in Jacob's room. She threw the covers off and jumped onto the floor.
"Ow!" Someone yelled, as she stepped on something hard on the floor below. It was Jacob. He slept on the floor next to her bed.
"Jake! What the heck are you doing in my room? Wait! What the heck am I doing up here? I thought I fell asleep in your room last night."
"You did, but I couldn't stand seeing you sleep in that chair all night so I carried you up to your bed," he said. "Man, you've really put on a few pounds you know," he added.
"You…hey wait… what?" she frowned, putting her hands on her hips when she realized what he just said.
Jacob laughed, pulling her down to the floor. "Don't worry, I don't mean that in a bad way." He grinned.
Renesmee looked him over. He was shirtless, only wearing a pair of sweat pants he'd changed into before he fell asleep. She examined his side where the wounds had been. They were completely healed.
"You're all better? Really?" she asked.
"Yup. Good as new." He held out his arms, showing off.
Renesmee threw herself at him and hugged him. Jacob wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her tight, unable to resist her affection. When she pulled back, she smiled and stared into his eyes.
He looked at her differently now. It was no longer the playful affection he displayed for her before. There was clearly a strong desire behind his eyes that longed for her. As he brought his hand up to her face, he tenderly touched her cheek and leaned in to kiss her, pressing his lips to hers softly. When they parted, he pressed his forehead against hers, tenderly caressing her face.
"I've been waiting for this for so long," he confessed. He leaned back and looked at her. Her hair was still a bit messy from sleeping on it. He took his finger and brushed a long curly lock of hair from her eyes. "You are so beautiful. I don't know if you even noticed but I haven't been able to take my eyes off you since…"
She smiled. He didn't need to finish.
"It was almost impossible to be around Edward. I thought at any moment he was gonna just run over to me and rip my eyes out for looking at you. I just can't get you out of my head."
She started to blush. Jacob liked it. "But wasn't it that way before? I thought you said you were always thinking about me."
"Well yeah I was, but… it was different. I mean it was impossible for to me imagine being with you like this before. I knew it would happen someday, and I've been counting the days, believe me! You just ignited a flame the first day I saw you standing in the bathroom all…..grown-up and stuff." He did a little waving of the hands, pointing out her features.
She leaned in close to him. "Jacob…?" she said, almost seductively.
"Yes?"
"Are you trying to tell me you only love me for my body?"
"What? No! That's not what I'm saying…"
She grinned devilishly and started to giggle. He laughed, then tackled her to the ground and began tickling her. She squealed with laughter. As they still squirmed around on the floor, Bella suddenly peeked in. "Good morning!" she said cheerfully.
They both looked up at her nearly breathless, in an embrace. "Uh...yeah, ok…so this is awkward," Jacob said.
As he stood he, helped Renesmee to her feet.
"I just wanted to see if you might be hungry. Esme made some food for you," she said to Jacob.
"Oh... yeah actually, I'm starving now that I think about it." Food was the last thing on his mind a moment ago. He nervously rubbed his hand behind his neck as he started to sweat. "How about you Ness? Want some eggs?"
"Sure. Let's go," she said gleefully as she kissed his cheek and then headed for the door.
As soon as Renesmee turned her back to them, Bella's face became very serious and she made a vee sign with her two fingers, first pointing at her eyes and then turned her hand and pointed one finger at Jacob, indicating she was watching him. Jacob almost laughed at the irony of it.
All of the other visitors disappeared for the night, knowing Jacob would be recovered by morning. Carlisle returned to the hospital to work an early shift.
Jacob and Renesmee followed Bella into the kitchen. Seth nearly finished eating the food Esme prepared for him too. Tara sat by his side listening as Edward told her more family stories. She curiously wanted to hear the about the vampire army that came to Forks to hunt Bella. It was a story she hadn't heard yet. He began the story with the account of James and how he tricked Bella and nearly killed her. Tara originally thought James turned her but Edward explained how he saved her by drawing the venom out of her blood before the process was complete, saving her life.
As everything started to comfortably fall into place, all of their troublesome burdens seemed almost trivial now. But when Bella spotted that familiar expression on Edward's face, she knew something wasn't right.
Suddenly, Alice's scream echoed through the house, confirming her suspicions. Everyone dropped what they were doing and ran to her. "They're coming!" she said frantically.
"Who's coming Alice?" Seth asked.
"The Volturi! They know something, I don't know how or what exactly but they're on their way here."
Edward turned to Seth and Jacob. "Take the girls to the Reservation. They'll be protected there. We'll handle the Volturi and get rid of them as quickly as possible." They both nodded.
The girls knew the Volturi couldn't see either of them as long as they were with the wolves and would be safe for the time being.
"What do you suppose they want?" Esme asked.
I don't know, maybe they've just decided to check on Renesmee. It could be nothing. We'll just be polite and respectful and try not to give anything away. We'll have to make sure not to make any physical contact with Aro. If we do, he'll know everything immediately." Edward said.
She nodded and they all acknowledged his warning.
Edward knew the Volturi could travel fast so they wasted no time in getting the girls out of there. Jacob took Renesmee to Billy's house then contacted Sam's pack to have them patrolling the area to keep guard.
Seth took Tara to his house. As he'd hoped, he found a note from Sue on the kitchen table."Going out with Charlie tonight after work for dinner and a movie. Won't be home. Left you dinner in the fridge. Love you, Mom."The news relieved Seth since he wouldn't have to explain to his mother why Tara would be staying there for a while.
They waited several hours. Nightfall came and there was still no news yet from Edward. To kill some time, Seth suggested they watch some movies he borrowed from the Cullens. Tara hoped it would be a good distraction however, it wasn't being very affective. As she and Seth sat on the couch, she barely paid attention to the plot, staring blankly at the screen.
He put his arm around her, caressing her shoulders and glancing at her frequently. "You're very quiet tonight," he'd noticed.
His voice broke her trance. "I'm sorry. My mind is elsewhere."
"Where's that?"
Tara sighed. "In the wrong place." She gazed at his face.
"You're just worried. It's understandable." He kissed her head.
"Worry is a wasted emotion. It solves nothing. There are so many other emotions I'd rather be indulging in when I'm with you, so… I'll stop." She shrugged it off, changing her mood instantly.
Seth was taken aback. "Wow. You're so much less complicated than other girls I know."
"Less complicated? You're joking right?" She gave him a crooked smile.
"Uh, no."
She just shook her head.
"What?" he asked.
"I just can't believe you don't think I've complicated your life," she replied.
"Well I don't. Human girls are full of complications. I mean for one, they can't just turn off their emotions or change them the way you do. And when you see a problem, you fix it. You don't just dwell over it forever. I really like that you prefer to focus on us and set aside everything else going on. Even I have a hard time doing that sometimes but you seem to be a natural."
"I'm sorry. It just makes sense to me. I didn't know there was another way," she shrugged.
"Don't apologize for the way you are. It's part of what I love about you."
"Okay then, I'm not sorry… oh, and I also like hearing all the reasons why you love me," she smiled.
Seth turned his body, facing hers. He propped his head up one hand, staring at her while caressing her arm with the other. "I didn't really like this movie so much any. It's too predictable. I already figured out who the killer is," he said.
She grinned. "I always figure that out right away. I can spot a killer easily, unless they are just horrible actors…like this guy." She pointed to the man on screen who was about to strangle his victim.
"Huh, okay …I guessed wrong," Seth admitted as he realized he'd picked out the wrong guy in the movie. They sat quietly for a while, staring at each other until Seth's minded drifted. "How long do you think it will take them to get here?" he wondered.
She knew he referred to the Volturi. "Depends how they choose to travel, but either way they are quick."
"How many ways are there for a vampire to travel?" he asked.
"Well if they choose to fly they'd have to conceal themselves and travel at night. They also have to hide their eyes. They find this very inconvenient so most often they will travel by foot."
"By foot? But..aren't they coming from Italy?"
"Yes, we're good swimmers...remember?" she reminded him.
"Oh, right." His mind began to wander as he stared off in another direction.
She reached up and touched his chin turning his face back in her direction. "Thought we weren't going to worry tonight?" she reminded him.
"Mmm, you caught me. Sorry about that." The corners of his mouth turned up and then she grinned back at him.
"Are you getting tired at all? Do you need to rest?" She realized how late it was and knew it would be time for him to sleep soon.
"Not tired at all. Actually... I'm a little wound up," he admitted.
She sighed. "Hmm, wanna go for a quick run? I bet I can beat you this time," she said, trying to think of ways to make him feel better. Running and hunting always relieved tension or anxiousness for her.
Seth had something else on his mind however. "No, I don't feel like running," he said. He slid closer to her and began to stroke her arm. Then his hand trailed up to her shoulder and then her neck, gently caressing her skin with his fingertips. His fingers brushed her soft, cool lips. She closed her eyes enjoying every second his skin contacted hers. When he could no longer hold back, he slowly leaned over and pressed his lips to hers, tasting the chill in her breath. She didn't resist. He ran his fingers through her hair as he kissed her more passionately, then slid his hand past the small of her back to her leg and gripped her thigh.
Tara moved slowly and cautiously. She leisurely eased her way into his lap with her legs on either side of him so she faced him. She leaned into him, reaching her arms over his shoulders and placing her hands on the back of the couch. As she pressed her body against his, absorbing his body heat, she closed her eyes and softly touched her lips to his.
He slid his hands from her hips to her back, running one up the back of her neck, knotting his fingers in her hair. The stinging heat from his palms electrified her. Her hands gripped the back of the couch digging her nails into the cushions.
His kiss became more penetrating as he parted his lips and kissed her even more deeply than he had before. She felt his heart rate speed up and he breathed even heavier now as things became more intense. As his lips trailed down her neck she found herself desiring him more. She suddenly sucked in a breath and leaped away from him quickly. "What happened? Did I do something wrong?" he huffed out of breath.
"Ah no, no you did everything right actually," she confessed.
"Then why did you jump off of me?"
"Sorry, I just needed to stop for a second. I have to be careful. If we keep that up, I'll take you whether you want me to or not," she winked.
"Well, who says I don't want you to?" he grinned.
She chuckled, letting out deep breath. "Umm, wouldn't you like to give it a little thought first?"
"I have thought about it…frequently," he admitted.
"Yes, but are you sure it's what you want, right now? Shouldn't you wait or something? I mean you've already waited this long….."
"What's left to wait for? You're the only one I'll ever want and right now, I really, really want you. But, only if you're okay with it. I want you to want this too. It's not just about me."
She paused for a moment and then with a sudden motion, she was in his lap again. She looked very serious but her eyes were soft and loving and yet still very radiantly golden. "You're sure about this?" she asked. He nodded staring in her eyes. She leaned in and whispered in his ear. "You're making this too easy for me you know."
"Good," he whispered, his mouth nearly on hers again.
"I want you too." she said, then brushed her cool lips to his quickly. "But I don't wanna break anything on you."
Seth chuckled, leaning back to look at her. "Well, in that case we'll just keep your hands above the waist and below the neck, for the time being." He winked, placing both her hands on his chest and holding them there with his.
Tara giggled shaking her head. "Oh I see. I only get access to all your major organs. Those are expendable, eh?"
"Well..not all my major organs," Seth teased.
Tara gasped with embarrassment and poked him in the stomach. He jumped slightly, and laughed at her. As she started to laugh with him, they both became aroused from the movement between their bodies.
Seth eagerly kissed her again but this time with more force behind it as he held her tight. Before long, his blood boiled under his skin. He broke away only for a moment as he crossed his arms, grabbing the bottom of his shirt and pulling it over his head.
Tara touched her hand to his soft, bronze skin, placing it over his heart and feeling it pound against her palm. Then she leaned in and pressed her lips to his chest, kissing a trail up to his neck. Her lips burned against his skin. The fiery heat from his body electrified her and she longed to feel his bare skin against hers. She paused to remove her shirt and then embraced him, burying her face in his neck. She liked the way his body felt against hers and she began to kiss his neck and shoulders until she reached his mouth again.
He scooped her up and brought her into his bedroom, setting her gently on his bed. He slid next to her and pulled her close, pressing his bare skin against hers. As things intensified, Seth's body started to tremble. Tara stopped and placed her hands on his chest, feeling the vibration. "You're shaking. Am I making you cold?" she worried.
Seth shook his head. He was starting to look a little less confident. She cocked her head to the side and touched his chin with her finger, turning his face so his eyes would meet hers. "Are you scared?"
He shook his head again and his eyes looked away embarrassed. "No, not scared really…just... nervous." Then his eyes panned up to see her reaction.
"Oh." She understood and smiled. "It's okay," she said, caressing his cheek, "We can stop if you want."
"No. I don't wanna stop. I don't think I could even let go of you right now if I tried." His fingers gripped her tightly.
She smiled putting her head to his. "Then don't," she whispered.
"I love you," he said.
"I love you too."
Seth brushed her hair back from her face and kissed her temple, then her cheek and then he slowly moved his lips to her neck. He kissed a trail down her body till he reached her navel and gently pulled off the remainder of her clothing. His hands trembled as he slid them over her smooth, cool skin all the way up the front of her body. He kissed her again on the lips and slid his hand around to her lower back, gripping her tightly as he pulled her in close.
Tara could feel that Seth was ready for her. Her hands drifted down to his jeans and she gripped the fabric, tearing it from his body. The shreds fell to the floor. He rolled to the side a little stunned. "Umm, you're going to owe me a lot of clothing," he said to her slightly out of breath.
"Mm-hmm." Was all she mumbled as she pulled his body back to hers and wrapped one leg around his waist drawing in the heat from his blazing hot skin. He pressed his cheek to hers and ran his fingers through her hair.
"Tell me if I do anything wrong. Okay?" he whispered nervously in her ear. His breath was warmed her skin as he spoke.
She leaned back and smiled touching his face with her fingertips. "Don't worry about that, it's not as though you can hurt me. Do what your body tells you to do. Do what feels good to you. You'll know," she said completely unyielding to him as she softly stroked his back. "I'm all yours tonight." She helped him position himself and the moment he felt he was inside her, he thrust his body against hers. She gasped as she felt the heat from his skin penetrate her body. His heart beat faster as the blood pumped through his veins.
Her body delighted in the new sensation she experienced. It was unlike anything she'd know before. It was different, not like the cold, heartless ravaging she experienced with Derek. Seth was warm and loving. He embraced her with passion and love. Even his inexperience was a delight for her as she felt him taking pleasure in learning and giving in to his desires. He was very gentle with her, always asking if his touch was pleasing to her as he explored new grounds. As his motion rocked her, she felt a surge of energy flow through every nerve ending in her body. In her moment of ecstasy she sunk her nails into the bed, gripping it tightly in her fists. She put her hand to her mouth to stifle a squeal as Seth drove his body into hers when he climaxed. In a completely habitual manner, Tara bit down clenching her teeth hard.

A few hours passed.
Seth opened his eyes, seeing Tara lying next to him. She traced the outline of his arm with her fingers. "Hey," he spoke softly, smiling. "I'm sorry, did I fall asleep?"
"Yes, I think I wore you out a little," she grinned proudly.
Seth chuckled. He looked down at his body. "So are all my major organs still intact?" he said jokingly.
"Mmm, last I checked they were all there." Her fingers drifted over his shoulders and down his chest. "Most of the bruises have gone away too," She added.
"Bruises?" His eye brows rose as he examined his body.
"Umm...just a few. I really tried being gentle."
He smiled "Well I can't say I recall anything ever hurting. Everything felt pretty amazing to me." He touched her face, caressing it softly. Then he noticed she wore the t-shirt he took off. "Hey, is that my shirt you have on?"
"Mm-hmm. It's comfy and it covers me up all the way," she said as she showed him how long it hung down her body. "Plus, I like the way it smells. It has your scent."
"But I thought you don't like the way we smell."
"Well, your scent has kinda grown on me."
"Mmm, I know what you mean," he said, leaning in to smell her hair. When she lifted her arm to touch him, he spotted two fresh scars. "Hey, what happened to your arm?" he asked, grabbing her hand.
She pulled her hand back quickly. "It's nothing."
"When did you get these? I don't remember you having bite marks on your arms."
"Umm...well, you sorta bit a few times last night,”
His eyes widened. "I bit you?" he gasped with surprise.
"Quite a lot." she nodded.
"I'm sorry, I didn't realize…."
She stroked his hand. "Don't be sorry, I liked it."
"Was there… anything else?" he worried.
"Um…you kinda growled a lot too."
"I…oh no, please tell me you are just teasing me now!" Seth wondered if maybe he'd been so caught up in the moment he didn't realize what kind of noises he made.
She bit her lip and shook her head.
Seth threw himself back on the bed and put his hand over his face embarrassed.
She laughed, crawling on top of him and lifted his hand. "I just love it when I make you blush."
He opened his eyes to look at her. "Were you teasing?"
She grinned. "Okay maybe just a little," she chuckled. "Gotcha."
He laughed. "I guess I sort of earned that. You really had me fooled but…" He reached for her arm looking at the scars, still there. "This isn't an illusion?"
"No," she admitted.
"Then…?" Seth looked at her confused again.
"Well, things got pretty intense and actually I was afraid I'd bite you, so I had to stop myself. It was all I could think of at the time," she confessed.
He looked at the marks on her arm, realizing they were hers. "So you bit your own hand?" He examined the scar rubbing his fingers over it.
"Don't worry about it. Better mine than yours," she pointed out. "Oh and um…I'm sorry about the holes in your mattress."
"Holes?" his eyebrows rose with curiosity. She pointed where she'd dug her nails into the mattress. "Wow, you clawed up the bed… was it that good?" he chuckled with little concern for the damage to his bed.
She leaned in close. "You have no idea," she whispered, and then gave him a quick kiss on the lips. "What about you though, was it worth waiting for?" she wondered.
He touched her face. "Yes, better than I imagined. It feels perfect with you - like you were made for me."
She smiled. Then he lay back in the bed, pulling her onto him so her head rested on his chest. He ran his fingers through her hair.
She knew he was asleep, once his hand fell limp.


The Volturi
Five of them came - Aro, accompanied by his body guard Renata. Demitri, Jane and Alec shadowed them. Carlisle graciously greeted them when they arrived, inviting them in his home.
"Good to see you again old friend. How are you?" Aro asked him. He folded his hands in front of him being inquisitive.
"We're all very well Aro, thank you… but forgive me for skipping over the small talk. Needless to say we are all a bit anxious that you've dropped in at our doorstep for no apparent reason. May I ask what is it that brings you all the way to Forks?"
"Of course." His smile faded. "We have a bit of a problem you see." Aro held out a news paper so everyone could read the headlines.
Local Men Attacked by Mysterious creatures in Olympic Forest, it stated. Then it went on to mention details of the events that took place giving descriptions of the creatures they saw.
"I really don't like finding out this sort of thing this way and Demitri here seems to have difficulty seeing things very clearly when it comes to your family. I wonder why that is?"
"I'm sorry Aro, I'm afraid I can't explain that one," Carlisle lied knowing the wolves protected them.
"Yes…well regardless, you know our rules, the humans cannot know of our existence and obviously someone here has made us known to them. I was hoping you could clear this matter up for me my old friend. Tell me…are the wolves giving you grief?" Aro speculated.
"No, Aro, the wolves have not been a problem at all. As you can see from the article there was an unfortunate hunting accident that involved one of the wolves. He was shot and we came to his aid." Carlisle explained.
"I see… and the humans involved in this are the ones responsible for this?" he pointed at the paper.
"That is correct." Carlisle answered.
"So you left them alive, even though they knew of your existence?" Aro frowned.
"Aro, we cannot kill humans, not only is it morally wrong but it would break our truce with the wolves. We had to let them go. This was unexpected, however I don't think it's any reason for you to come all this way. We are all laying low and I'm sure this will pass in a matter of days. People will just call it a hoax and move on. There is no need for you to be so concerned. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience."
"Mmm, well I like to be sure of these things. Which one of you witnessed the event?" Aro asked.
"I did." Edward spoke up quickly, taking the heat. "I carried the body back here so he could be treated by Carlisle. We wanted to avoid taking him to the hospital and making this any more public than it already was."
"Ah, very good. Well, I would like to see this for myself if you please." Aro held out his hand. "Just to be quite sure no details were left out.
Edward hesitated. He read Aro's mind who was unconvinced that there was really nothing more to it.
"Is there something wrong?" Aro asked suspiciously.
"No, nothing's wrong, I just don't like being accused of lying," Edward hissed.
Carlisle stepped in. "We've told you everything Aro. We just wish to forget this event and move on. I'm sorry you came all this way, but it was truly unnecessary."
Aro paused thinking for a moment then he paced across the room. His bodyguard Renata shadowed him. "All right Carlisle, I will give you the benefit of the doubt."
Edward still listened to his thoughts. "You realize that it could cause more problems for us if those hunters disappear right now," he said as he picked up on Aro's plans to make a meal of the hunters.
Aro let out a devilish snicker. "Ah, such an amazing talent you possess Edward. It's such a pity you refused to join us. We truly would love to have you with us," he chimed. Then he stepped closer to Bella. "And Bella my dear…." he said in a sly voice. "How have you been? You look wonderful. I see you are maintaining the Cullen diet still," he said looking into her eyes.
"Yes," she said plainly. She didn't like Aro, nor did she wish to entertain him. Bella took Edward's hand, squeezing it tightly. "Keep him away from me," she thought. He made her skin crawl.
Aro continued speaking to her. "And how is your daughter…Renesmee?" he asked, looking around the room for her noticing she was not present.
"I'm sorry, she's not here at the moment," Edward told him.
"Oh, I see. Hunting?" he pried.
"No, she's actually spending time with some friends. She won't be back any time soon. I'm very sorry you'll miss her." He tried to sound sincere.
"Demitri? Aro said as he turned to him. His guard tried to find the girl but was unsuccessful.
"Nothing Aro," he replied.
"Hmm, how odd. We've had trouble keeping an eye on her. She seems to be in and out of Demetri's view. Aro paced across the room. He went over to some pictures that were on a table. There was a picture of Edward and Bella with Renesmee when she looked about the age of ten. Aro picked it up and stared at it. "Her friends you speak of….are they by chance... the wolves?"
Edward glanced at Carlisle. "Yes that is correct." Carlisle answered.
"And you feel it's safe for her to mingle with them, especially after your recent misfortune?"
"They are very protective of her, they wouldn't let anything happen. We trust them," he assured Aro.
"Is that so?" The corners of Aro's mouth turned down. "And you trust those killers with your daughter Edward?"
"Yes, I do. They would never harm her. We have a truce with them and we like to keep it that way."
Aro let out a deep sigh. "I find your relationship with these animals is disturbing Carlisle. I'm starting to wonder if this bizarre diet you've chosen is affecting your judgment."
"No, not in any way I assure you Aro," he replied.
"Well, these creatures have already caused some trouble for us," he said holding up the newspaper, "Perhaps you should consider detaching from them and keep your distance. I don't wish to see this kind of thing again in the future, nor do I like having to find out about it through the media. It's so archaic. If the wolves wish to expose themselves to the humans, then that is their business however we need not be involved and risk uncovering ours. Do I make myself clear on this matter?" he ordered.
Jane silently glared with her crimson red eyes as she stood motionless, watching all of them very carefully.
"Aro, I will personally make sure this event does not repeat itself. Again, I assure you we are taking precautions to ensure we keep our identity concealed. We are very happy here in Forks and we do not wish to jeopardize our stay," Carlisle said.
Aro continued to pace across the room looking about. He walked over to the large bay window and stared out it for a moment without saying a word. He looked for the wolves, staring deep into the forest as his eyes would allow, trying to see if they were guarding the house. He saw no sign of them.
Edward read his every thought carefully scanning to see what he was planning. You could feel the tension in the room as the Cullens waited anxiously hoping Aro would accept Carlisle's story and leave quickly.
Aro glided across the floor back over to Carlisle standing directly in front of him. "Very well my friends, I feel we have concluded this visit." He raised a hand and snapped his fingers. His companions drifted over to him and stood just inches next to him at his side. "Till next time." Aro held out his hand to Carlisle to bid him farewell.
Carlisle stared down at it, afraid to touch his skin for he knew it would instantly reveal everything to Aro.
Aro frowned again. "You're being rude Carlisle. Or... is it that you have something to hide as well?" He looked him square in the eyes and Carlisle glared back.
Tension grew even higher. Bella readied herself.
Suddenly Aro reached out and grabbed Carlisle's arm. Edward and Emmett got ready to spring into action. Carlisle quickly told them to back down, concerned for their safety. They both just growled. Aro pushed up Carlisle's sleeve and touched his skin.
Nothing.
Aro smiled a crooked smile. "Bella," he said slyly as his eyes diverted in her direction, knowing she was applying her gifts. "What are you protecting?" he hissed.
Edward tried to stop Jane before she leaped at Bella knocking her to the floor. He grabbed the tiny girl, lifting her off his wife and threw her across the room. The rest of the Volturi and the Cullens began to lunge at one another until it became a big snarling mess of arms and legs swinging in all directions.
"STOP!" Carlisle ordered. Aro's still grasped his arm tightly as he stood there. The distraction worked however. Bella lost her concentration when Jane hit her.
Aro broke through and saw everything through Carlisle's mind. He let go of Carlisle and barred his teeth at them. The visions angered him. "You lied! I knew you were hiding something but I had no idea it was anything this unfathomable!"
"We've done nothing wrong Aro, we just wish to be left alone, in peace."
"On the contrary, you're harboring a fugitive here and you're allowing your vampires to engage in intimate relationships with the wolves. This is detestable!"
"She's not a fugitive, she's free to do as she pleases and she wishes to stay with us. As far as the relationships, there are no rules against it and it does not violate any other codes. The wolves keep our secrets as we protect theirs." Edward tried to reason with him.
"Tara belongs to my coven, where she was created."
"You're not her maker though. You have no power over her." Carlisle said.
"Her maker is dead. She killed him just before she left. He was one of our own. I demand she be returned to me!"
Carlisle looked at Edward. He wondered if Edward knew if this was true or not. Edward nodded. "I was unaware of this information," Carlisle said.
"Yes, her crime is punishable by death. I will however, spare her if she returns peacefully. Her talents are very valuable to me."
"Tara is happy here, she's been away from your coven for decades. I beg you Aro, leave her be. If there is anything I can do, that would amend for her crimes…"
Aro grinned devilishly. "How noble of you Carlisle. You've truly become quite the family man haven't you? Well, as much as I wish to have Tara back with us, I actually would be willing to make a fair exchange for another. As I have seen through your mind, she has progressed into quite an extraordinary being." Aro was thinking how he'd love to have Renesmee in his Coven.
"NO!" Edward growled. "Over my dead body!"
Aro continued, ignoring Edward’s outburst. "…And I also see that she provoked the hunters as well. Interesting. She does have a savage side to her doesn't she? Something I admire, however we can't have her causing trouble in the future."
Carlisle put his hand on Edward who was about to become unglued. He motioned for Edward to step back. "There will be no trouble Aro. She's just going through some changes right now. We are keeping an eye on things I assure you."
"Very well then…and Tara…she is with her …wolf I presume?" he assumed.
"Yes," Carlisle replied.
"And to think, I almost gave up looking for her but she was right here with you safe and sound.” He said smugly. “Well I suppose I can just go and retrieve her myself." He gestured.
"You can't step foot on Quileute land. They won't allow it," Edward warned.
"And neither will I," Bella said. She would protect her daughter, her friends and her future son-in-law from harm if they were to try.
Aro sighed. "This is so unnecessary, Carlisle, you don't need to get involved with this. Your friends don't need to be involved either, I just wish to see her and speak to her. Bring her here alone, so we may negotiate peacefully. You don't wish any harm to come to your friends or your family, do you?"
"No of course not."
"Let it be done then. I will wait." Aro found a very posh antique chair to sit in. His guards followed him to it and stood at his side.

Tara's phone rang in the pocket of her pants. It was Carlisle. He called to inform her of the events that took place and the threats Aro made if she didn't comply. He painfully apologized for having to bear such awful news to her and told her they would do anything to protect her no matter what decision she made.
She didn't want to involve Seth or put him in danger however. Wanting to protect him, she decided to meet with Aro, alone as he requested.
Tara knelt next to the bed looking at Seth. With one finger, she carefully brushed the strands of hair that touched his forehead, trying not to wake him. She longed to kiss him but knew it would only disturb his rest. She searched the house for some paper and then wrote him a note apologizing for doing what she was about to do and asked him to forgive her. She hoped he would understand that she wanted to protect him and that no matter what happens, she will always love him.
Tara had no idea if she would be able to return. She feared Aro would kill her on the spot once he saw her and she knew if Seth came with her, he would also be killed trying to save her. She couldn't allow that to happen. Once dressed, she placed the note on the bed next to him. She picked up Seth's shirt and lifted it to her nose, inhaling the scent, branding it into her memory before leaving him, forever.
When she entered the Cullen home, Aro stood up and walked towards her, greeting her with an enormous smile. His tone was unsettling however. "Tara my dear, it's been too long," he chimed. He held out his hand to her.
She gave him a bitter look. "Don't touch me!"
Aro sighed. "Hmmm, I see where you get your manners from," he said coldly, eyeing the others.
"Get on with it Aro. What do you want?" she demanded
"I've come to peacefully invite you to return home. We've missed you." He folded his hands together smiling. Tara didn’t fall for his phony kindness.
"This IS my home," she replied.
Aro's face turned sour. "You're part of my coven, you belong with us. I am offering you your life back my dear and you stand here and insult me?"
"That's not a life I chose. I don't want it!" she spat.
"You would rather be destroyed then?" he lifted a finger.
"Tara, no!" Edward said as he listened to her thoughts. She was willing to give her life to protect Seth and them.
Aro seemed to understand. He had no interest in destroying her though. She was a great asset to him and a fascination of his since she joined them. He wanted to posses her again more than anything. "Such a pity. You Cullen's are so unusual and rare, giving your lives up for the love of human. Such a waste of talent."
"Get on with it then Aro, stop monologing and just get it over with." Tara's tone was acidic and impatient. She worried Seth may wake up and coming looking for her soon.
Aro, grumbled. "I simply don't wish to end it this way Tara, I had sincerely hoped you see things my way," he frowned.
"Well I don't!" she hissed
"Hmm yes, well you should reconsider again. I don't think you'd want to put your friends in danger would you...or their families?" Did you leave you're wolf friend alone to come here?"
Tara wondered why he'd asked that. She was told to come alone as he requested.
Edward growled. "There are more of them. They've surrounded Charlie's house. Aro has ordered his guards to attack if he doesn't return for them."
"No!" Bella shouted.
"That's not a negotiation Aro, that's a deliberate threat!" Edward angrily pointed out.
"No threats, just concerns. I mean after all, things happen, accidents...people disappear."
Tara's eyes turned black. She thought about ripping Aro's head off right then and there. His guards stood tightly against him, protecting him. "Damn you Aro! Just take my life and leave the others out of it. They've done nothing to you!"
Carlisle wasn't about to let Tara give her life up knowing the devastation it would cause. Edward heard his thoughts and stood by him in his decision. "No, we won't allow you to take this girl's life either. She's part of our family now," he said.
Aro wasn't interested in getting into a battle but he was unyielding when it came to the law and he didn't like it when he didn't get his way. "Carlisle, there's no need for you to be involved in this. I don't wish to bring any harm to you or your family my old friend, but… I have made up my mind." Aro made sure Edward knew that he would not back down.
Tara feared that the Cullens would start a fight with them. She wasn't about to endanger their lives and she knew they'd fight for hers. "No, Carlisle, I won't let you risk your family like that, not for me."
"But Tara…" Esme spoke. She didn't want to lose Tara and the thought of it broke her heart.
Tara hardened her heart and mind. She detached her emotions so she would not be persuaded to stay. She back away from the family shaking her head. Her eyes were black and cold and expressionless. This was her only hope of protecting them. "Aro, please give me a moment with them alone," she requested.
Aro smiled feeling victorious. "Of course, we'll be waiting outside." He snapped his fingers and they turned and disappeared.
Once they stepped out, Carlisle spoke. "Don't Tara, we'll find a way to get out of this."
"No, Aro won't back down from this and I don't want to be responsible for the deaths of anyone. You don't have to protect me. Just protect your family."
"But you are family," Esme pleaded.
"I'm sorry, there's no other way. This is what I choose," she said somberly.
"You can't do this to Seth!" Bella shouted. "You don't know what that will do to him!"
"Yes I do, it will save his life and the life of his family. I don't want them to die because of me. I brought this on myself and as I have said before, I will do what it takes to make it right.” She turned to Carlisle. “I don't want your family to go to war over me. Please just understand my decision to leave."
Bella became angry and stormed out. Tara didn't understand why she was so upset. Edward tried to explain it to her. "She's upset because I left her once, thinking I could protect her that way. It devastated her. It's a pain that she remembers well and would never wish on anyone. She knows what this will do to Seth if you leave. She loves him and doesn't want to see him go through that."
"Well I can't live with myself if he gets killed because of me Edward...or his mom or Charlie. I don't think she will be so forgiving then. Please Edward…. don't make this harder for me than it already is." Tara unclasped the chain around her neck. Her voice trembled when she spoke. "Give this to Seth," she said with a hardened expression as she handed him the charm. " Tell him I love him Edward... and I will never forget," she thought.
Edward cupped her hand between his and squeezed. With a pained look on his face, he quietly took the locket and stepped away.
Esme ran up and hugged Tara. She held back a sob and pushed her off gently so she could leave.
Though there were no tears on any of their faces, they all looked as though they were crying.

1 comment:

  1. omg !!!! i hope you write more cause i just cant stop reading this ! I love that you wrote this and cant wait for more

    ReplyDelete