Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chapter 7 - The Imprint

Tara didn't hear from Seth for a week after the beach incident. Each time Jacob came over to visit Renesmee, he coldly told her Seth was busy and didn't have time to come with them. Seth made no effort to call and explain his absence either. She hunted alone thinking he'd come see her, but he never did. The taste of his lips against hers still burned in her memory and she ached to feel the warmth of his skin against hers.
As the week came to an end, she hoped Seth would come by with Jacob, knowing Renesmee had plans with him. Her heart leaped with delight when she heard the purr of a motorcycle engine coming up the street. Trying not to give herself away, she casually crept down the stairs to see who arrived. Jacob walked through the door greeting Renesmee with big bear hug, lifting her off the ground.
Tara waited.
She heard no other engine sounds. No one else came through the door. He came alone.
Since the clouds moved out again, Jacob decided to take his motorcycle out for a drive instead of the Volkswagen. He still owned the motorcycle he'd build with Bella after Edward left her. He didn't ride it often, but today he decided to take Renesmee for a ride on it. It felt like a cruel joke to Tara. She slowly turned and headed back up the stairs. Jacob and Renesmee both spotted her before she could slip away unnoticed.
"Hey Morticia," Jacob said in his usual teasing manner. Tara didn't even flinch, she only kept walking.
Renesmee hated to see her this way. "What's with the bike Jake?" she asked.
He shrugged. "It's a nice day…I wanted to take you for a ride."
She stood with her arms folded, staring at Jacob with an unconvinced look.
"What?"
"You know what. You know exactly what she came down here looking for. Why doesn't Seth just talk to her?" Renesmee whispered.
Tara froze when she heard his name mentioned. Her vampire ears listened. She wanted to know the real reason why he wasn't coming around.
"I told you… he's says he's not coming over anymore."
"Well he should have just told her about the imprinting. This is stupid, now it's all a mess."
There's nothing more he can do Ness. He says things didn't turn out the way he'd hoped. Now he's just trying to stay away and do whatever he can to forget all this."
"You know he'll never forget. And she obviously misses him, you can tell. She's not the same anymore."
"Hmph! Coulda fooled me," he snorted.
"She says one thing but I can I see something else in her eyes.”
"Imprint? What imprint?" Tara thought. It started to make more sense to her now, why he stopped coming by, why he was too busy. She didn't understand why he didn't tell her though, wondering if he really cared so little that he couldn't just tell her to her face.
Tara dashed out the bedroom window and headed for the auto shop, hoping he would be there. So many new emotions went through her mind as she ran - anger and sadness being the strongest. She felt a new emotion she never knew before now - jealousy.
Tara remembered her way to the tiny auto body shop in town. Seth drove her past it on her first motorcycle trip with him, the day he returned her locket to her.
The sign out front read Big-Dogs Automotive Repair. The first time Tara read it, she laughed out loud. It was the first time she laughed in many years. It was actually Renesmee who came up with the idea for the name and it was just so comical and befitting that they agreed to use it. Tara even jokingly made the suggestion to Seth that they add the phrase "We Lycan Your Business" under the name. He was completely amused by her humor. This time however, she wasn't laughing when she got there.
Seth lay under an old blue Chevy, working. The radio on the counter was blared loud rock music, drowning out any noises. Tara slipped in unnoticed. She scanned the room for the source of the noise so she could turn it off. When she found it, she yanked the power cord from the outlet. The sudden silence startled Seth and he rammed his head on the bottom of the car. Tara heard a loud clang just before he shouted several profanities. Then he came out from under the car, rubbing his head. "Hey," he said, completely caught off guard when he saw Tara standing there.
"Where have you been?" she demanded to know.
"Working," he lied. "I have a lot going on." He busily fiddled with the tools in his hand, tryin not to make eye contact.
"It's a Saturday. Jacob's not even working today. He's taking Renesmee to a movie."
"Yeah? Well that sounds great. Maybe you should go with them," he said coldly.
She frowned. "You haven't been around at all since my trip to La Push. Jacob says you're always too busy."
He turned his head and looked for a towel to rub the grease off his hands. "I didn't think you noticed," he shrugged
"Well I did," she snapped.
Snapping back he quickly turned to confront her. "Look, you just seemed pretty upset with me for what I did and I know I did some foolish things which I have profusely apologized for but when you pushed me away I felt like you just didn't want me there and Jacob even confirmed that you weren't too thrilled about saving me either. I just thought it was best if I didn't come around anymore."
"Is that all?" she scowled, standing with her arms folded. "That's your only reason?" she questioned.
He scrunched his eyebrows and threw his hands up. "You want a better excuse?" he snapped.
"I think you have one." Her eyes darted at him.
He sighed rolling his eyes. "And what's that?"
"You imprinted," she said, watching his reaction.
Seth's mouth gaped open. "Wh-who told you that?"
"I overheard Jacob and Ness talking about it," she confessed.
"Big Mouth!" Seth thought.
"I don't like being lied to," she said bitterly.
"I'm sorry. I tried many times to say something but I couldn't get the words out."
"So when did this happen?"
"The day you came to Forks," he admitted.
Tara fumed now. She dropped her arms, balling her hands into fists. "Then why the heck did you start hanging out with me and pretending to be my friend? What was all that about?"
He inched closer to her. "What do you mean pretending? I wasn't pretending. I was trying to get to know you. What else was I supposed to do?"
"Oh, I dunno, maybe go spend your time with whomever it was you imprinted on instead of misleading me into thinking you actually cared about me in some way.” She huffed. “I mean… I don't know why I even care anyway! This is so stupid. I don't know what I'm doing here!" She turned to leave.
"H-hold on. What? Tara…who do you think I imprinted on?"
She stopped before she got to her exit but didn't turn around. "How should I know that?" she grumbled.
"Because I thought you figured it out." He inched even closer towards her. "Wait...do mean you have feelings for me?"
She snapped around. "What does that matter?"
"It matters to me. I need to know." He stared at her straight in the eyes.
"How can he be so cruel?" She thought."Well what do you think? I'm a vampire I'm not supposed to feel anything about you. You're all wrong for me," she lied.
That hurt. It was the answer he feared. "That's it? That's how you really feel?"
"Yes, that's how I feel, because that's how I should feel. I was foolish for letting you get so close to me. I should have known better… we shouldn't even be friends."
He stepped even closer hovering over her putting his hands on her arms and stared into her eyes looking very serious. "I didn't ask you how you think you should feel. I wanna know how you really feel. I wanna hear from Tara, not the vampire. What does Tara want?"
Her eyes softened. "She… she wants her friend back. She misses him... a lot."
"Is there more?" he pried.
She pulled away. "I'm not playing this game of yours anymore. This really hurts and … I don't even know why. I just wish I hadn't come here now." She broke free from his grip and started to turn.
"Ugh, Tara... WAIT! This is so frustrating. Don't you get it? It's you!"
"What do you mean it's me?"
"I mean, you're the one I imprinted on. There's no one else."
She shook her head. "But that's not even possible."
"Why not?"
"Because it's not...because wolves don't imprint on vampires. That's just crazy."
"Well, Jake imprinted on Ness. So apparently it is possible."
"She's half human though."
"But she's also half vampire. We have no control over it, it just happens…and from the moment I saw you I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I don't know how to explain it, but it's happened, and it's you. I know it's crazy but I don't even care. You're all I want now. This is how I've felt since the day I met you and it's been nearly impossible to control my feelings for you. I just had no idea how you'd react so….I thought I'd just see how you react to being my friend first, but then I just couldn't take it any longer. The day at the beach, I wanted to tell you so badly. The words were right there but they didn't come out and I just ended up kissing you." He confessed finally but Tara just stood there, unresponsive. Her silence seemed to confirm his suspicions. He felt rejected and let go of her. "I think I have my answer though and I'm really sorry, I never meant to force this on you in anyway. I knew you've been given a life you didn't choose and you were forced to be something you didn't want. I didn't want to do that to you, which is why I just stopped coming around and..."
"Seth!" she cut him off.
"What...?"
"Shut up!" she ordered. He just looked at her stunned. She gently reached for his hand and caressed it. "I want this….I want you."
"Y-you do?" His heart leaped.
"Yes, you have no idea. I felt myself being more and more drawn to you each day. None of it made any sense to me. I think you're the sweetest, kindest creature I've ever encountered..," she paused, "but….."
"But, what?"
"But, I just don't see how this can be real…. We can't possibly be meant for each other."
"There's no mistake. I told you I can't explain it but it is real. I've already toiled with this so I know everything you are thinking. I just decided I'm going to accept it because this is what I want and nothing else matters to me. The only thing that matters is if you accept it too and… I think maybe you have but you're just afraid to admit it."
"Don't you know what I am...what I've done. You're supposed to kill vampires like me not mate with them."
"That's the past, you're different. I can see that. All mankind is capable of killing. Humans kill each other all the time. There are days when I read the news and see that some people that are worse monsters than we are. Everyone has to choose their own path in life, whether it be good or evil. You didn't choose to become a vampire, but you chose live your life apart from the murderers who tried to curse you."
"But what if I'm cursed? What if there's no reprieve for me? You want to be attached to someone like that?"
"You and the Cullens are proof to me that all are capable of rectitude. I don't think there's any way you could be cursed."
Tara stared at him in awe. She stepped closer to him, reaching up with one hand and touching the side of his face. Seth stood extremely still unsure if she was going to attack or be gentle. She ran her cool fingers down the side of his cheek. Her touch was soothing and his shoulders dropped as he relaxed. "I must be out of my mind. If I could sleep, I would think this was only a crazy dream," she smiled.
"I'm pretty sure you're not dreaming," he cocked his head to the side.
She put her hand over his heart, feeling it beat rapidly. He placed his hand over hers and looked in her eyes. "Well if I am… I don't want to wake up," she confessed.
Seth smiled. "I was so worried. I thought you really meant what you said about me not being your kind. I didn't think you'd even be attracted to me because of what I am."
"I am ...extremely. Maybe I shouldn't be but I am. I even tried to convince myself not to care about you but the more I tried, the more I couldn't stop thinking about you. How crazy is that?"
"I'm just glad you feel that way. When you pushed me away after I kissed you, I thought you finally just had it with me. I didn't think you wanted me and I felt so stupid for trying…that's the only reason I didn't come to see you anymore. It would have pained me to see you, knowing I can't be with you."
She shook her head. "No, that wasn't it. I liked it...too much in fact. I just got nervous and excited all at the same time. I've never been kissed by a human before. It feels like I'm doing something wrong, but that just makes me want it all the more."
He chuckled. "Yeah... I know."
"And you…you're attracted to me, despite what I am?" she asked, hopeful.
He nodded. "Very much."
Her eyes lit up and she smiled. "Did you really mean it when you told me I was... pretty?" she wondered.
He looked at her very seriously. "No," he answered. The corners of her mouth fell. "Not pretty, I think you're beautiful."
Her expression changed to relief. He could tell he embarrassed her as she timidly smiled and looked down. He touched her chin and turned her face back to his. "So then, do you think maybe I could kiss you again without you hitting me or running away this time?"
Tara smiled. "I promise I won't."
He cupped her face in his hands, leaned down and softly pressed his mouth to hers. She closed her eyes delighting in the taste of his lips. The heat of his skin stung as he touched her. When they parted, he slid his arms around her and pulled her in tight.
"I've never felt like this before. I don't even know how to describe my feelings for you," she admitted.
"You seem to be doing a good job at showing me right now." He spoke into her hair. Then something on her shoulder caught his eye. Her tank top revealed a scar just inches from the base of her neck by her collar bone. He pulled back, looking at it and touched gently with one finger, circling the spot. "Is this what I think it is?"
Tara knew what he meant. He pointed at the scar on her shoulder. The one she got when she was bitten and turned. "Yes. It's the only scar I have on my entire body and I'll always have it."
Seth leaned over and softly kissed it. "If I could take it away from you, I would," he said.
Tara put her hand over the scar and gave him a disturbing look. "What is it? You have that look on your face again like I hurt you. Does the scar hurt?" He ran his fingertips down the side of her arm. It sent a surge of energy though her body.
"No. It doesn't hurt," she said as she froze.
"Then why do you look like that?"
"Like what?" she wondered.
"Like, you're in pain when I touch you."
"You're not hurting me. It's just the opposite actually." She dropped her eyes. "I- I'm not quite sure how to explain without totally embarrassing myself."
"Oh….." Seth thought for a moment and grinned. "So you're saying you like it when I touch you." He continued to caress her arms and let his fingertip trace her body up to her neck and face.
"More than you can imagine." She closed her eyes tilting her head to the side.
His one hand ran through her hair as the other was around her waist pulling her closer. He leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Well I can imagine quite a lot."
"Not my way you can't," she grinned.
"You're way? And what's that? He leaned back to look at her with curiosity.
"Mmm…..well, vampires are not the gentlest creatures when it comes to….affection."
"Oh, uh…is that's bad?" His eye brows rose.
"It could be for you," she chuckled.
"Don't worry about me, I'm a fast healer," he winked.
"Mmm…you're awful confident."
"Yeah, that's me. I'm a risk taker." He smiled.
She chuckled wanting to kiss him again but held back. Seth, on the other hand, couldn't wait another second. He touched his lips to hers, softly at first but within moments Tara found herself becoming more electrified, pressing her body against his. Seth didn't resist at all. His breathing became heavier as he became aroused by her motions. Suddenly Tara pounced on him like a kitten attacking a grisly - a very strong kitten however. He landed flat on his back as she sprawled on top of him. "Ooof!" he blurted when he landed, banging his head on the ground on impact. "Ow. Ok, that kinda hurt."
She stopped herself quickly. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I just bumped my head. That was a bit too fast for me."
"I'm sorry, here lemme see." Tara ran her fingers through his hair to feel the lump on the back of his head.
"Does this help?" She gently rubbed it with her cool hands.
"Mmm" He closed his eyes liking it very much. "It's like you have a built in icepack at your fingertips."
She chuckled becoming lost in his stare as she lay there in his embrace, still stroking his head. So this part could be a problem," she sighed.
"We'll figure it out. Like I said…at least I'm a fast healer."
"I wouldn't like it if I hurt you." She frowned.
"I think I can handle and few bumps and bruises. Besides…you know what they say…?"
"What?"
"Practice makes perfect." He grinned.
She sighed. "Your over confidence could be the death of you." She rested her hand on his chest, feeling his heart beating against her palm.
"I don't think you're capable of that."
She just shook her head. Then she started thinking about their other problem. "So, does anyone else know about this?"
"Jacob does and I'm sure he told Ness. And Leah knows too. She and Jake were able to hear my thoughts the night it happened."
"Listen to your thoughts? Like Edward does?" she wondered.
"All the wolves have the ability. We hear only each other's thoughts though."
"All of you?" her eye brows rose.
"Well just in our pack, but if we allow it the others can hear too. I've just been avoiding phasing for a while to be on the safe side."
"You probably can't hide this much longer then," she said.
"No. I'm sorta worried about what'll happen when they all find out. What about the Cullens? I wonder what they will think?
"Actually, some of them already know…."
**********************************************************************
Forks….
Seth and Tara went to the Cullen's home together. As they walked in the house, all was quiet except for the sound of a television.
Jacob and Renesmee sat in the theater room along with Emmett and Rosalie, watching a hockey game. Renesmee leaped up running over to greet them as they came in the room. It surprised her to see them together.
"Tara ….Hey! Are you okay? You disappeared."
"Just fine," Tara replied.
Jacob had followed her to check out the situation for himself. "Hey Seth, you finally decided to get out of the garage?" he asked.
"Yeah I needed a break. Almost done with the Chevy... I should have it finished tomorrow."
They all looked at each other suspiciously, not saying anything until Tara finally broke the silence. "Okay, yes I know," she admitted.
Jacob groaned. Then he reached into his pocket and slapped a ten dollar bill into Renesmee's hand. She laughed taking it.
"What's that for?" Seth asked.
"Just one more week…. I had ten bucks that said you'd hold out for at least one more week."
"You guys had a bet.. on us?" he asked.
"Sure why not. I figured you'd crack sooner or later but the way you were acting I didn't think you'd cave so quickly."
"Well Tara came to me," he confessed.
Jacob sighed. "Females!" he rolled his eyes.
"Bet? What bet? What did I miss out on?" Emmett overheard them and invited himself into the conversation. He loved a good bet. Even Rosalie, who wasn't the slightest bit interested a moment ago perked up to listen in on what was going on.
Tara and Seth just looked at each other, unsure of how to explain the situation.
"Seth Imprinted," Renesmee finally said.
"He did? Nice! Who's the lucky girl?" Emmett asked.
Tara gave Renesmee nudge for opening her mouth about it. Rosalie had it figured out immediately. Her angry eyes stared at the two of them.
"What? It's not like you guys were saying anything here," Renesmee pointed out.
"I don't get it," Emmett said looking confused.
Rosalie got up and stomped towards the four of them. "You can't be serious! You wouldn't be that foolish would you?" she said to Seth.
Emmett became alarmed at her reaction and followed behind. "Hey Rose, chill out. What are you so upset about?"
"Can't you see? The dog imprinted on Tara, that's what!" She angrily waved her hands at the couple pointing out that they were obviously together.
Emmett looked at the two of them. "Really? You mean you can do that?"
"Yes…um…apparently," Seth said as he put his hands on Tara's shoulders.
"Wow, and you haven't killed him yet?" Emmett said to Tara, snickering.
"I don't intend on killing him. I'm okay with it."
Rosalie couldn't contain herself any longer. "Well that's just great, like we needed another reason to attract the Volturi here! I mean we barely got through the last ordeal, now this." Her voice grew louder.
"Uh, well ya know Rose…the law just says we can't tell humans of our existence, it really doesn't say anything about vampire-wolf relationships," Emmett said in their defense. He was amused by the situation and already thinking of some bets he could place with Jasper on their relationship.
Rosalie scowled at him. "Well it doesn't!" he added, shrugging his shoulders.
"I think Emmett's right, they're not breaking any rules and it doesn't matter anyhow, they will never see Tara as long as she's with Seth. Their visions are just as clouded as Alice's when the wolves are around," Renesmee said.
Rosalie didn't accept it though. The thought of a vampire being intimate with a wolf thoroughly disgusted her. She couldn't understand the attraction. It was too unnatural for her. "Well I hope you're right! I mean first it was humans...now dogs! I think this family has too many strikes against it and flaunting this kind of relationship will certainly attract attention."
"Hey, I am human." Seth argued. Tara placed her hand on Seth's chest to back him down.
"Rosalie, I swear wouldn't place your family in jeopardy. If I thought there was a chance that my being here would endanger your family I would leave, I swear." Tara promised.
Seth gripped Tara's shoulders tightly. That's not an idea he agreed on.
Rosalie's angry voice carried through the house and grabbed the attention of the others. Carlisle and Esme came in the room followed by Jasper and Alice who were all very curious. "What's the problem?" Carlisle asked.
"Ask the wolf," Rosalie said in a snotty tone pointing at Seth.
Carlisle looked at him. "Seth?"
"Uh, I um…." He gulped. "I imprinted," he paused. They all gawked at him, waiting. "On Tara," he added.
That changed things. Alice and Esme gasped. All of them gaped at the couple with wide eyes and blank faces.
The news astonished Carlisle. "Fascinating. I didn't know this was even possible." He stared at the two of them curiously.
"Neither did I. It just happened the first time we met. That's why I disappeared so quickly that evening. I didn't know what to do. The only one I told was Jacob because I knew he'd understand and I thought maybe he could help me."
"I'm surprised Edward didn't figure this out right away," Carlisle commented.
"Actually he did. He confronted me with a warning but he wanted to respect my personal life. He knew he hadn't spoken to her yet and chose not to reveal it to anyone until I handled it myself."
"I understand, that's very much something he'd do," Carlisle said.
"I'm sorry for hiding this. I thought it was the only way at first. I was hoping I could find out if Tara had any feelings for me at all."
Carlisle looked at Tara. "And are you okay with this?" he asked.
"Yes, it's what I want," she answered.
"You mean you're not mad? You're okay with this too?" Seth said, surprised at Carlisle's calm reaction.
"If this is what you both want, then yes. Who am I to say otherwise? I love you like one of my own Seth. I just want you to be happy, both of you. But I have to throw caution into the wind. You do need to be careful but I'm sure you can make it work. Edward and Bella did just fine."
"Oh yeah, that was a real blast. Why don't we just call the Volturi over right now so they can celebrate with us?" Rosalie snapped. Everyone turned in her direction.
"Rose!" Renesmee growled. She didn't like her tone or her comment very much. Rosalie had forgotten she was listening too.
"I'm sorry, I just think this whole thing is going to reflect badly on us."
"Well it can't be any worse than Jacob and I. We both seem to have the same dilemma."
"I don't think this will be of any concern. The Volturi can't see any of us when the wolves are around. They provide protection for all of us in a way. I think Renesmee and Tara will be perfectly guarded from their seeker." Carlisle informed her.
"What about the pack, Seth? Do they know yet?" Esme asked.
"Just Jake and Leah, but I think the others have their suspicious about what's going on. I'll deal with that issue I come to it."
"Yes I think you should stick to the more immediate issues and let us worry about any bigger problems if they arise."
Alice spoke up. "Don't worry, I'll be looking out for you. If the Volturi try to come here, I'll know about it." She seemed less worried about the situation than Rosalie.
"Thanks Alice," Seth said.
"You're welcome. We're all family here aren't we?"
Everyone smiled, with the exception of Rosalie who just rolled her eyes.


10 comments:

  1. have you considered submitting this to Stephenie meyer? because this is really really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have emailed her brother and tried contacting her publisher but no luck :( I will keep trying. I am in the process of writing a part 2 and I will try sending them both to her. She's not an easy person to contact. Thank you for your compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story, I'm from Italy so I don't understand everything but...this story is beautiful, I love Seth.
    You are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant get any work done at my house cause i cant stop reading this ~ i love it and thinks its great ! i cant ever get enough of twilight! thank you so much for writing this , for i am enjoying it very much

    ReplyDelete
  5. write more please!!!!! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Jacob and Tara call each other names, like Cujo and Neferata what is it supposed to mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cujo is a name from a Stephen King novel. He was a rabbit dog that attacked people. Nosferatu was a 1920's Dracula type movie.

      Delete
  7. I know you said you were working on part 2. That was in May and I was wondering how much you have done so far? Also, what will it be about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to you on chapter 5. I am done with 13 chapters of part 2. I am very sorry I am behind. I have to edit it before I can post and it's taking me a while longer than I hoped. I work ft and go to school but It will be up soon. Follow me on face book and I will announce when it's posted.
      It will start out with Jacob and Renesmee's honeymoon, right where I left off and have more on their relationship. They will all face a new enemy too!

      Delete
  8. Wow that sounds so cool!! I can't wait till you post it. I love Seth and Tara's relationship! You did a really good job with their personalities. Good luck on writing the rest of part 2, can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete